If you’re looking for a great reliable portable hard drive to bring with you while on the go, the Western Digital 320GB My Passport Essential is more than capable to do the job.
A 320GB Portable Hard Drive For the Photographer On The Go
The 320GB My Passport Essential Portable USB Hard Drive from Western Digital is a portable hard drive in a secure housing, perfect for use with notebook computers. The drive offers an interface that allows it to be connected and powered by USB 2.0, a rotation speed of 5400rpm, a 2MB data buffer and bus transfer rates of up to 60MB/sec. The portable drive is an incredible storage solution for users who happen to be traveling.
That price will go up. I can’t guarantee that price will stay the same.
This drive along with a 13.3″ MacBook Pro like I have, would make a lovely couple on mobile photo shoots and photo sessions. It’s 320gb is way more than I’d ever use for storing photos on the move. It can hold roughly 23,405 NEF RAW images straight from my Nikon D300S. That’s a lot for a temporary storage solution. I just hope no one would have that many photos on it in the rare occurrence it “randomly” falls and breaks. That would be a shame
The incredibly compact Passport drives are available in several lovely colors, allowing you to easily recognize between your drives on sight.
- Includes WD SmartWare suite for Windows, which comes complete with an automatic backup application with an intuitive visual interface that indicates your data is actually being backed up
- Easily customize the backups to protect the data files and directories that you select, and restore data files from backups with ease
- Drive Lock for Windows lets you safeguard your data from unauthorized access, locking the drive using state-of-the-art 256-bit encryption with password protection
- Bus-powered USB 2.0 interface
- Compact recyclable packaging is itself manufactured from recycled materials, minimizing waste
- Compatible with Windows and Mac systems
- 320GB holds 24 hours of DV video, 80,000 MP3 songs, or 68 DVD movies
- NTFS formatted for use in Windows, must be reformatted as FAT32 or HFS for use on Mac OS X systems
Simply put, I’d recommend the Western Digital 320GB My Passport to photographers looking for a light, reliable and affordable portable hard to take with them. The Passport Essential averages a transfer rate of 28.4 MB/s and gets plenty of good reviews, both from users and trusted hardware reviewers, saying just how fast, easy and reliable this drive really is.
But it’s not the perfect portable hard drive. It does have a few flaws, but they can be easily ignored simply because they’re nothing major. Some of the cons include a case that is prone to showing fingerprints, a software suite that isn’t as robust as it’s competitors which some say they remove from the drive, and its not the prettiest of portable hard drives I’ve seen
But nonetheless, it’s a great deal, and sure a steal if you buy it from B&H Photo right now for only $67.95 at the time of writing this. So why not get yourself some extra storage?
I do these reviews in my free time hoping to help someone out. You can support my site by purchasing this, or any products, through any of the links on this site. This allows me to keep posting great deals, photo tips and reviews. Thanks!